July 24, 2019, Police Blotter

Category: News
Created on Wednesday, 24 July 2019 12:48
Hits: 1031

Police Blotter
    Police received the following calls by 8 a.m. today:
July 23
    A caller said someone had spit him in the face, but he didn’t want to press charges.
    A Moller Avenue resident said someone had tried to steal a car stereo during the night from her son’s vehicle, and had stolen a pair of sunglasses from hers.
    At 10:23 a.m. a caller said a friend had driven past a vehicle several times on Price Street and seen a man slumped over the steering wheel. Officers detained one person and impounded a vehicle.
    At 1 p.m. Harbors said an intoxicated man was refusing to leave the Mariners Wall. An officer found he was able to care for himself, and he agreed to leave.
    A Harbor Drive business reported a sign valued at $30 was stolen.
    Several callers reported  manhole cover open in the 400 block of SMC. Public Works responded.
    A caller said an employee who had been fired was posting threats against him and his family.
    Multiple callers reported a verbal altercation aboard a fishing boat in the harbor. Officers found it was a father and son arguing about getting the boat ready for fishing, and were fine.
    A caller said she’s housesitting for her sister on HPR and for the last few nights a man in an older vehicle has come up the driveway, parked for a minute and was seen on security tapes looking at the house and cursing. She said she hadn’t noticed until she watched the tapes. Officers told her the night shift would be made aware of the incident, and to call if the man came back.
    A man said someone had apparently been on his boat at Eliason transient dock. The Zodiac on it was flipped off onto the dock, and it’s too heavy for the wind to have blown it.
    A man said he wanted to talk to an officer about discrimination at his workplace. He was told it’s a civil issue.
    At 7:29 p.m. a caller said a man and a woman were stumbling along DeGroff Street. They left before officers arrived.
    A caller reported hearing yelling and screaming from a Price Street apartment. Two residents told officers it was a simple disagreement.
    At 9:26 p.m. a caller said a man walking along the rocks at the skate park had fallen and hit his head. An ambulance took the man to a hospital.
    At 10:27 p.m. a caller said neighbors are hanging a doll – which resembles a real child –  from the ceiling of their home, where all residents of the HPR apartment complex can see it. Officers talked to a man, who said it was his ventriloquist doll and he would take it down.
    A woman said neighbors had tapped her phone and were following her. She was advised of her options.
    July 24
    At 1:55 a.m. a man was reported on a bench in the 500 block of Lincoln Street. He told an officer he didn’t know where he was. After he provided a PBT of .256 and was taken to a hospital.
    At 2:10 a.m. a caller said neighbors had put a ladder on the side of her house, broke into her attic, and were now watching her.
    At 3 a.m. a downtown resident reported being awakened by loud noise from the street, probably bar patrons headed home. Officers were advised.
    At 3:47 a.m. a caller reported a fight in progress in the 200 block of Lincoln Street. One man was taken to a hospital, and one was charged.
    At 5:21 a.m. a caller said two men were yelling loudly at birds in the air and on the ground near Centennial Hall. An officer responded and the men agreed to leave the area.
    At 5:41 a.m. a caller said  two men were screaming at tourists. No location was given in the police report.

Sitka Police
    Aaron Bean, 40, was charged early this morning with assault in the fourth degree, recklessly injure, a class A misdemeanor; and disorderly conduct, challenge to a fight, a class B misdemeanor.

Emergency Calls
    Sitka Fire Department received ambulance calls at 8:24 p.m., 8:51 p.m., 9:29 p.m. and 10:20 p.m. Tuesday, and 2:10 a.m., 3:14 a.m. and 3:52 a.m. today.
     An engine was sent to the Coast Guard air station at 9:38 a.m., and another to Flume Circle at 6:53 p.m. Both calls turned out to be false alarms.

Coast Guard
    A helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Sitka medevacked a 69-year-old man with medical complications from the cruise ship Regatta Tuesday night and flew him to Sitka.
    The ship was about 50 miles south of Sitka bound for Victoria, British Columbia, when it called the Coast Guard, at 8:30 p.m. It turned around to meet the air crew closer to Sitka.
    “The crew aboard this ship was very skilled and cooperative in helping us prepare this man for a hoist,” said Lt. Kellen Browne, co-pilot for the case. “Thanks to their help we were able to execute this mission seamlessly, and bring this man to the care he needed back in Sitka.”
    Weather at the time of the hoist included 6-foot seas and winds up to 20 mph.