HERRING WELCOME COMMITTEE – A trio of California sea lions lounge near Bieili Rocks Sunday. Sea lions and whales were feasting on herring in Sitka Sound. The first herring spawn of the season in Sitka Sound was spotted Wednesday, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game said today. (Sentinel Photo by James Poulson)

A.G.: Contract With Kin Of Gov Donor Reviewed

By BECKY BOHRER
The Associated Press
JUNEAU (AP) — Alaska’s attorney general said his department will review a sole-source contract awarded to the grandson of a major donor to a group that worked to elect Gov. Mike Dunleavy.
The Alaska Industrial Development and Export Authority last year entered into a contract with Clark Penney, which includes options for three, one-year extensions with costs not to exceed $441,000 through June 2022. Penney is a grandson of Bob Penney, a major donor to Dunleavy for Alaska.
Attorney General Kevin Clarkson, in a letter to state Reps. Zack Fields and Jonathan Kreiss-Tomkins dated Tuesday, said he was directing the Department of Law to review the matter in response to concerns they had raised and at the request of Dunleavy.
The lawmakers had written Dunleavy, saying they had received conflicting information about the contract and asking: “Who directed the state to issue this contract?”
The extent of the review was not immediately clear. Messages seeking comment were left for a Department of Law spokeswoman.
Messages also were left for Penney and a spokesman for the Alaska Industrial Development and Export Authority.
Tom Boutin, the authority’s executive director, told a House subcommittee earlier this month that he determined it should be a sole-source contract and he signed the document.
Dunleavy took aim at Fields and Kreiss-Tomkins during a news conference Wednesday, in which he said the issue had already been broached last year. But Dunleavy said a “deep dive” would be done on that and other contracts.
“We’re looking into it, and we will get to the bottom of whether there was anything done improper and we will have a press conference on that,” he said.
There’s an implication “somehow there was a sweetheart deal with an individual,” Dunleavy said. “We want to make sure that there is nothing that’s been overlooked, that there were no mistakes. We want to look into this thoroughly.”
Fields, an Anchorage Democrat, said Dunleavy was dodging the question of who directed the contract be issued.

______________________

 

Alaska COVID-19
At a Glance

(updated 3-29-20)


By Sentinel Staff

The state Department of Health and Social Services has posted the following update on the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Alaska as of 3 p.m. Sunday. 

The list includes the total cases (and what portions are travel and non-travel-related or still being investigated):

 Total - 114 (38, 76)

 Anchorage area – 59 (24, 35)

 Homer – 2 (1, 1)

 Seward – 1 (1, 0)

 Soldotna – 2 (1, 1)

 Sterling – 2 (0, 2)

 Fairbanks area – 28 (6, 22)

 Palmer – 2 (2, 0)

 Juneau – 5 (1, 4)

 Ketchikan – 13 (2, 11)

The state says the cumulative number of cases hospitalized is seven, and the cumulative number of deaths is three.

______________________

 

Welcome to the Sitka Sentinel's web page. In order to make the Sentinel's news more easily available during the COVID-19 pandemic, we have taken down the paywall to access articles on this page. Just click on an article headline to read the story. 

March 23, 2020

NOTICE FROM THE PUBLISHERS

TO READERS AND ADVERTISERS

For the duration of the COVID-19 disaster emergency declared by federal, state and local authorities, the Sentinel is taking additional measures to reduce virus exposure to its employees and contractors as well as to the public, while continuing to publish a daily news report for Sitka.

To the extent possible, Sentinel news and sales staff will be working from home. For the protection of our carriers, home delivery of the newspaper will be stopped effective Tuesday, March 24.

The Sentinel will continue to publish on its website sitkasentinel.com. Access to the website will be free to all users. The Sentinel will also produce a print edition Monday through Friday. It will be available to all readers without charge, at locations throughout town.

Initially, these locations are those where the Sentinel's newspaper vending machines are already in place. The coin mechanisms will be disabled or the doors removed to permit easy access. The Sentinel will work with the stores where the paper is usually sold, to designate a place inside or outside the store where the free edition can be made available.  

Home delivery subscriptions are on hold, and after the end of the disaster emergency, subscriptions will be extended at no charge for the number of days that there was no home delivery.

The Sentinel will make its print edition available to the public as early in the day as possible. with all personnel taking precautions to prevent spread of the virus.

The Sentinel is calling upon its customers to observe the COVID-19 emergency precautions already in place, particularly in maintaining a six-foot social distance from others at newspaper distribution sites.

Following is the statement issued by the Sentinel on March 16, stating the Sentinel's emergency procedures, which remain in effect.

The Sentinel office at 112 Barracks Street is closed to the public. We encourage people to use the phone, email or the U.S. Postal Service as much as possible.There is a slot in the front door of the office for ads, news items and payment checks. Emails may be sent to  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and the phone number is (907) 747-3219.                                                                          

Most recent Sentinels — PDF edition

March 23, 2020

March 24, 2020

March 25, 2020

March 26, 2020

March 27, 2020

 

 

Facebook

calendar